Saturday, March 25, 2006

interesting... and a good idea!

Do you ever see something and think to yourself, "damn, i wish i would have thought of that" and then you stew about it that it would have been the perfect fit for who you are and what you do and what you think about. They just beat you to it. sometimes, it's by an hour, others it's more like 30 years. Well, that's the way I feel about the Red Sweater Project http://www.redsweaters.org/RedSweaters.html . This artist had an amazing idea. A way to get many people envolved and think about the war and all work together to make other people think about the war. I have been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I just wasn't sure how, and well she figured it out. knit or crochet a bunch of sweaters and tie them together to make people think. The people that help knit the sweaters think about who's death that sweater might be representing, and the people who see and then ask about the sweaters think about the magnitude of the deaths in Iraq. I like her explination of why she is only representing american soldiers, it's kind of a sad reason really. there is just no way to fit all of them in the tree. there are too many people who have died to represent in three inch sweaters inside of one tree. It seems to me that it would actually take a neighborhood of trees. So go to the sight and knit a sweater and remember who's fighting out there.

On a side note I just found out that a close friend of mine is being deployed to Iraq soon. It makes me kind of sad. I realize that he may die. That I may never see him again. That he too may be represented by a little red sweater.

No comments: